Summers in Texas can get hot...extremely hot. What better way to combat this intense heat than to take a trip to the lake? Now that we've helped you fix up the boat it's time to put it to some good use! Whether you enjoy fishing, water sports, or just relaxing on the vessel with some friends, there are plenty of activities to look forward to on the water. Texas is scattered with over 170 vast beautiful lakes that are primed and ready to be explored. However, we've narrowed down that list to our top 6 to help make your lake getaway planning a little easier.
Here are our best Texas lake getaways
- Lake Texoma - Unfortunately, we have to share this beautiful grand lake with Oklahoma, but we'll still consider it a Texas lake. Lake Texoma is the 12th largest lake in the United States and it contains some of the best fishing in the state of Texas. This lake holds bass that weigh up to 20 lbs as well as various types of catfish and crappie. With over 1,000 miles of shoreline there's plenty of room for swimming as well as a ton of trails for horseback riding and hiking!
- Possum Kingdom Lake - This Lake resides about an hour west of Dallas/Fort Worth and features tons of fun activities for the whole family. Take the boat out on this gorgeous lake for some fishing, swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling and water sports. The marina offers rentals for wakeboards, kneeboards, water skis and tubes, so you're covered if you arrive empty handed. While you're there, make sure you check out the infamous "Hell's Gate" cliff formation in the lake. You can even go cliff diving if you're brave enough!
- Lake O' the Pines - Have your camera charged if you're looking to visit this lake because the sights here are out of this world. This beautiful lake has thousands of pine trees that stretch across miles of shoreline. Not does the shoreline serve as a great photo backdrop, but it also offers a ton of awesome amenities such as campgrounds, picnic spots, beachfronts and boating ramps. If you enjoy fishing then you're in luck! This lake is filled with a wide variety of bass, chain pickerel, sunfish and crappie.
- Sam Rayburn Reservoir - If you're a fishing fanatic then this is the destination for you! This spot hosts over 300 fishing tournaments every year and it is filled with largemouth bass, bluegill, catfish and red ear sunfish. Being the largest reservoir in Texas, this location offers a ton of great amenities such as swimming, boating, water sports, nature trails and camping grounds.
- Lake Granbury - Just beyond the outskirts of Fort Worth rests a reservoir that will quench your thirst for adventure. This lake has it all; from boating ramps, waterskiing, wakeboarding, jetskiing, fishing piers, and campgrounds there won't be a dull moment during your stay here. This spot is also covered with lovely white sand beaches that are perfect for sand volleyball, building sand castles and much more!
- Inks Lake State Park - Not only is this lake a great boating destination, but it also features a ton of exciting activities to take part in. This massive park offers areas where you can backpack, bird watch, swim and camp. If you're tired of being on the water, take a hike through the Devil's Waterhole, where you can cliff dive and take in some amazing sights. If you don't own a boat, there are plenty of other vessels you can take out on the water. The park store has canoes, kayaks, and paddle boats available to rent.
Before planning your lake getaway now is a great time to make sure that all of your boat insurance needs are up-to-date. Give us a call to have an agent review your policy to confirm that your auto insurance has the right amount of coverage for your family and your needs. We can also ensure that you are getting the best rate for your policy. You might even qualify for additional discounts, especially if you have your home insured through us!
From all of us at Al Boenker Insurance, we hope you stay safe and have a great time. Remember boat safety and etiquette, Oh, and don't forget those life jackets!